Wedding Invitation Wording Tips
Wedding invitations can be simple, fun and unique. You can make it personal yet formal, and tweak the usual traditional wording. Invitations must basically have these components.
- Who's hosting
- The request to come to the wedding
- The names of the couple
- The date and time
- The location
- Reception information
- Dress code
- RSVP card
Nowadays, it also usually includes COVID reminders (if testing will be conducted before the event), and a simple timeline or reception details. If you are still waiting for event permits, these can be in a separate card that can be easily printed/reprinted as soon as details are confirmed.
Wording options for wedding invitations
1. Honors God
- With thanksgiving to our Almighty God,
- By the grace of God,
2. Parents inviting
- With the blessing of our parents,
- Together with our parents,
- Together with our families,
3. Intro line
- Because your love and friendship have guided and inspired us,
- It is with joy that we,
- it is with great love that we,
- Please join us as we celebrate new beginnings, new dreams, and most importantly, new love at the marriage of…
4. Main invitation wording
- request the honor of your presence to join us in a celebration of love, family and friendship, as we become one in the sacrament of holy matrimony
- invite you to a celebration of love as we get married
- invite you to share our joy and support our love as we exchange vows and are united in the commitment of marriage
- joyfully invite you to share in our happiness at our wedding celebration
- dinner, drinks and dancing to follow...
- celebration continues
- reception to follow
- cocktails immediately after and dinner to follow
Remember, writing your invitation card can be in first person (We) or third person (invite you to their wedding). Just keep consistent all the way
6. In lieu of gifts
If you are concerned that most of your guests will give you gifts that you might not need, then you can include a gift registry or an "in lieu of gifts" poem. If this is not a big concern, it would be nice to give your guests the freedom to give gifts as they wish.
If you are living or moving to another country, a subtle but understood way of saying this is, "The couple will live in (country) after the wedding."
7. Adult Entourage
With the new circumstances in light of COVID, young children are likely unable to attend the wedding ceremony. If you are looking for alternate names or titles to "flower girl" or "ring bearer", then these are some suggestions.
- flower maid / flower maiden
- include them as a bridesmaid / groomsman
- use phrases to describe their role
Principal Sponsors - to guide us in our new chapter / to serve as our role models
Candle - to light our path
Veil - to clothe us as one
Cord - to bind us together
Bearers - to carry our symbols of love (rings), faith (bible), treasure (coin)
Flower girl - to shower our aisle with flowers